Search This Blog

Thursday 3 March 2016

Simple Squash Soup.....



So this week is quite a big one for me - I am leaving my current job & my next Msc assignment is due in. Exciting and scary times! Being honest I am a natural worrier. A big worrier. Heck - I might as well be honest I am a huge worrier.... sleepless nights are an old friends, my washing machine stomach is a permanent feature and the only reason I get my nails done is to stop me biting them. As I have gotten older I have learnt to manage this through various things. Some healthy - some sadly not so healthy. But that’s life and you can only live and learn. And learn I have! One of the most important things I have learnt is how important it is to nourish your body, to be kind to it and to ensure your own basic needs are met. That includes warmth, nutrients and comfort. This brings me nicely to my favourite recipe. Soup. They often say chicken soup is good for the soul but being vegan I have settled for this beautiful butter nut squash one. Simple, satisfying and good for your soul - enjoy!

Simple Squash Soup (serves 2)

•1 teaspoon coconut oil

 •1 clove garlic, minced (I use lazy garlic)

 •1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes

 •1 red onion, sliced

 •1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped (I use the frozen chunks as they are cheaper / easier)

 •2 celery stalks, chopped

 •3 carrots, peeled and chopped (Again frozen work great)

 •2 vegetable stock cubes ( I use the Kallo organic vegetable stock cubes as they have no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives, no added MSG and they are vegetarian, vegan and coeliac friendly. They are also gluten and lactose free.)

How To -

•Put the oil in large pan, add garlic and chilli flakes and fry for 5 minutes. Add sliced red onions and fry until they start to soften.

•When onions have softened, add squash, celery and carrots to pot, along with enough water to cover and 2 stock cubes.

•Bring to boil and then simmer until all vegetables are soft. Remove from heat and blend all together.

•Serve in a big bowl with chunks of bread or oat cakes. Yum!




No comments:

Post a Comment