Search This Blog

Sunday 27 March 2016

Hen Weekend Adventures (no hens were harmed!)

Nothing makes me happier than a weekend away. Except a weekend away, in the countryside, with lovely people. Nothing is nicer than two whole days of long walks,  hottubs, great food and some girly giggles (plus a cheeky vino or 2!), my idea of heaven - and yep I am a lucky girl to be doing exactly this that weekend!

 So with bags already packed and the weekend all planned there is just one small thing to consider - food. What happens when a newbee vegan goes away with meat loving carnivores? Peoples reactions to my decision to become vegan (or as my dad says 'vagone'!) has been a mixed bag of support, intrigue and vague confusion as to why I would want to not eat cheese which has made for some interesting and funny conversations at times! Obviously part of the pleasure of spending time away with people is to share meals with them and as a vegan this can make you feel slightly isolated. I don't want to be the one causing a problem or eating out of separate containers all weekend but similarly I don’t want them to feel uncomfortable eating all the things they enjoy. To me veganism isn’t about being better than anyone - I believe we are all equal and within equality we all have the right of choice. Lucky for me the caterers providing the food this weekend are giving me ample  gluten free vegan alternatives that fit in with the party food and hopefully prove that vegans eat a varied and nutritious diet. Plus some of the other girls have kindly made vegan treats I can't wait to try! Which I guess brings me to my goal of this weekend, as well as having as much fun as possible I would like to educate and share my life choices fully with some of the loveliest know. And if they happen to like just one vegan dish – well, I will be the happiest vegan going!


No comments:

Post a Comment