Search This Blog

Friday 18 March 2016

On Your Bike.....


 
People convert to veganism for many reasons – including ethical, health and environmental reasons. All of which are equally important. With veganism comes not just a food change but a lifestyle one such as the clothes you wear, cleaning products you use and even your shower gel! So whilst it is easy to change your Ocada online food shop and Melissa do a fabulous range of vegan shoes, reducing your impact on the environment (your carbon footprint) can be a little more challenging. Like most of us I have to make a long round trip to work plus I work in the community  and my job description requires me to have a car, so as much as I fancy reducing my carbon footprint by roller skating / biking / walking I’ve gone for the next best option – an eco-friendly car. I chose the Peugeot 107 city car as it is the greenest and leanest car ever (according to usedcarexpert.com). This little baby Peugeot boasts emissions of 106g/km and economy of 63mpg from its one-litre petrol engine, which results in £35-a-year road tax and comes with a choice of manual and automatic transmissions. Gold stars for Peugeot! I am a big believer that every little helps so I have decided for local trips between the villages I live near, I am going to get a bike. Excited is an understatement! But if you needed any more reasons to cycle, doing it regularly can help you to:

•keep fit - moderate activity for half an hour each day will help you lose weight.

•save money - once you have bought a bike there is no fuel, tax or parking charges.

•save time - a large proportion of journeys are between 1 and 2 miles. Cycling this distance in the city is often much quicker than driving.

•help the environment – cycling to work has no carbon footprint nor does it produce harmful emissions.

•feel better - being in a car exposes you to around 25% more pollution than if you are walking or cycling.

•live longer – by incorporating physical activity into your life you will reduce your risk of heart disease, cancer, obesity, respiratory disease and diabetes

And if you think cycling is for geeks then take a look at the lovely Jake Gyllenhaal who is frequently photographed on his road bike in both New York and California, and even took a Men's Journal reporter on a ride through the hills of Los Angeles for a feature story. Certainly a bike ride I’d have gone on!

No comments:

Post a Comment