Search This Blog

Monday 7 March 2016

Chocolate Heaven (vegan style)





My name is Kate and I am a chocoholic.... Or at least I was! Before going vegan, chocolate (I believed) was a main food group. I couldn't go a day without the yumminess of Mr Cadbury and friends, Obviously this all stopped when I choose to go vegan. One of the best tips I was given about veganism was to find good vegan replacements for your favourite things. For me it was simply a good cuppa tea and some chocolate. After playing with several nut based milks I decided I prefer almond milk in coffee and soy milk (unsweetened) in tea. Winning! But chocolate was a different story - something strange happened. During my first week of veganism I ate vegan chocolate most days, then at some point during the second week I realised I had not eaten any of the sweet stuff for 3 days (this is massive for me!!) For some reason since I have made changes to become a vegan my sweet tooth seems to have packed its bags and left me. So nowadays it is rare I fancy any sweet treats but if I do this is my go to pud. Clean, vegan and gluten free - this is the ultimate treat!

 

 

Chocolate Heaven (makes 12 squares) 

  • 30g coconut oil
  • 1 rounded desert spoon of agave nectar
  • 60 ml soya milk (or almond is nice too)
  • 100g 85% organic fair trade dark  chocolate
  • 30g sultanas
  • 30g dates, chopped
  • 30g brazil nuts crushed (pecans work well) 

 

How To -

 

  • Heat the oil, agave nectar soya milk and chocolate in a heavy based saucepan. Continue until the chocolate and oil have melted.
  • Add the brazil nuts, raisins and dates, and mix well.
  • Place in a small greased tray and place in the fridge to set for three hours.
  • Cut into 12 small squares, try and resist eating them all at once!

No comments:

Post a Comment