Search This Blog

Tuesday 3 May 2016

VeganRebeccaBlog (guest post)...............


  I am beyond privileged and excited to be able to share with you this guest post from the very lovely Becky. It has been a wonderful experience to collaborate with such a fabulous person who shares so many of my values. She really is an amazing vegan with a fab sense of humour. Please feel free to share this blog, give her a follow on social media and support a fellow vegan sister in her journey. This recipe looks amazing and I cannot wait to try it out! So with no further ado let me hand over to her, I hope you enjoy her blog as much as I do…..
 

This is my first ever guest post so I hope you all enjoy it. I'm not entirely sure what to talk about if I'm honest but we shall just have to see where it takes us. So hi, my name is Becky and I'm 21 and from Wales. I've been vegan now for about a year, I say about a year because if I am honest I'm not actually sure when I turned vegan. I was vegetarian for 5/6 years before I turned vegan and I didn't really take notice of any dates or days I just know it was around now last year. I found it incredibly easy making the transition from vegetarian to vegan, I'm not sure whether that was because I was already vegetarian? Or whether it's because I'm also intolerant to dairy and have never been a big lover of eggs or honey? I'm not sure but whatever the reason it's the best decision I ever made. I've actually been really enjoying the food, not so much the preparing side of it all, if all the cutting up and thinking of meals was done for me I'd happily cook everything all the time. Speaking of cooking I have added my favourite meal I have had so far, I only actually had it a week or so ago but it is for sure my favourite thing right now. It is from the VeganLife magazine and I hope you enjoy it.


Sea Shepherd's Pie - Serves 6

 

Filling


1 tbsp veg oil

1 tbsp vegan butter

750ml (3 cups) sliced button mushrooms (I'm guessing this is maybe meant to be in grams? unless you can measure muchrooms in ml..)

1 leek, thinly sliced (tender green parts only)

1 onion, diced

1 carrot, peeled and diced

1 stalk celery, finely diced

3 cloves garlic, minced

3 tbsp reduced - sodium tamari

1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

750ml ( 3 cups) no - salt - added veg broth or water, plus more as needed

750ml ( 3 cups ) dried french lentils, picked over, rinsed and drained

2 tomatoes, finely diced

1 tbsp cider vinegar

1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes

 

Topping 

 

4 potatoes, peeled and diced

1 tbsp olive oil, plus more for drizzling

Pinch of salt

1 tbsp thinly sliced fresh chives

 



Method

 

1.   To make the filling, put the oil and butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat until the butter has melted. Decrease heat to medium and add mushrooms, leek, onion, carrot, celery, garlic and cook, stirring it frequnetly, until soft, about 10 minutes.

2.   Add the tamari and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes.

3.   Add the broth, lentils and tomatoes and bring to the boil over medium-high heat.

4.   Decrease heat to medium, partially cover and cook, stirring occasionally until the lentils are tender, about 25 minutes. If necessary, add more broth as the lentils cook so they don’t become dry. Stir in the vinegar and nutritional yeast. Transfer to a 4L casserole.

5.   Preheat oven to 205 C (400F)

6.   While the lentils cook, prepare the topping. Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to boil over a high heat. Add the poatoes, partially cover and cook until soft, about 15 minutes. Drain, Add the oil and salt and mash until the potatoes are smooth and creamy.

7.   Spread the topping evenly over the filling. Sprinkle the chives evenly over the topping and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly.

 

 

I can't even explain to you how amazing this is. It's so delicious. TRY IT! See if it's as tasty for you as it is for me. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment