Search This Blog

Wednesday 11 May 2016

Pink phones, techo phobia & attempting to save the planet one ring tone at a time.............


Six months ago my mobile phone contract was up. Over the years this has been an event I have looked forward to and been excited by. This time however it filled me with dread. Despite a smashed screen, 2 faulty charging port repairs and a replacement battery being brought, the thought of the hassle of changing my phone made me want to hide. Lost contacts, pictures and no idea how to use the new one is not my idea of a good time. So I have held on until now and I started reading about mobile phones, the environment and effects on the planet. Armed with this info I made some decisions. Firstly being environmentally conscience I wanted to be mindful that the decisions I made would support this. Secondly I am a secret techno phobe. I don’t have a laptop (I use the local library), of the 2 TV’s in our house one belongs to my lovely man, the other my parents old one and the only camera I have is on my phone. I wouldn’t use a micro wave except we were kindly given one (I lived for years without one) and it is only in the last 6 months I have an electric kettle – I used to have a hob top Le Creuset one before this. So hundreds if not thousands of pounds on a top of the range phone just isn’t my thing nowadays. I would just rather have a plane ticket somewhere than have the latest gadgets.

With regards to being environmentally friendly it made sense to me that I should buy a refurbished phone. After looking round for a good deal I found one on line with a 1 year warranty included. I decided to get an Iphone as Apple seems to have the best policy on human rights as well as carbon emissions.

The case was the fun part with R – Pet and Pela making gorgeous recycled cased from plastic bottles it was easy to be spoilt for choice and environmentally friendly.

I recycled my old phone with one of the many on line providers which meant I got some cash in my pocket and I had recycled too. Win win.

My last and final purchase was probably one of my favourite to date. A solar powered phone charger. No electricity, minimal environmental damage and portable. A bargain at £10 this nifty little thing just needs a session in a window with sunlight to charge any mobile device. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment