Search This Blog

Friday 29 April 2016

Breaking Up With Jo......


With a big sigh and a sinking heart I knew I would have to look - I needed to find out. I guess in my heart I knew the truth but like with all crumbling relationships I didn't want to face it. Seven years is a long time to be together, we had been faithful, laughed, cried and made some incredible memories together but now I've changed. 'It's me, not you!' my head cried! Google made the answer quick and easy. There it was in black and white, confirmed - Jo Malone perfume isn't vegan, infact it is part of a brand that is well known for its cruelty to animals. Heartbroken was an understatement......

 As I squirted the last of the bottle on my skin, a trickle of sadness ran through me. So many memories I have are prompted by various Jo Malone perfumes. It was the end of an era. Squaring my shoulders I stood tall, grabbed my bag and accepted my mission to find a new perfume that was vegan.
A little research gave me limited options, all the major perfume houses were sadly out which left me with Lush, Neals Yard, Pacifica and some online only brands with no testers. Now before we go any further I need to make a confession *whispers* I don't like Lush. There - I have said it. I wish I did - really really wish I did. It ticks all the boxes for me, ethical, vegan, affordable, against animal cruelty. Amazing. Except three teeny tiny things -

 

 •The smell gives me a headache

 •The crazy colours freak me out

 •I have previously been allergic to some of the products.

 So with Lush out of the running and my local Holland and Barrett not stocking Pacifica ( I would have to buy it on line without so much as a sniff before parting with my cash) I headed off to Neals Yard with everything crossed I would like one of their vegan perfumes.

Now as a self-confessed beauty product junkie I had had a little crush shall we say on a Neals Yard for some time. Their Women's Balance Oil is an essential part of my bathing routine and my poor hands could not cope without their cuticle oil but perfume? Would I like it? Would the fragrance last? Would I end up smelling like dead moss / an aging hippy / tarts handbag?
Luckily none of my worries about Neals Yard perfume were founded and I waltzed out the shop clutching my new find, purse a little lighter and conscience perfectly clear.

 So that's it, I have broken up with Jo and found Neal. After all Neal is much more my type - ethical, against animal cruelty and has no animal by products. I guess in many ways it is like life - you sometimes have to dump the toxic situation which is wrong for you to find your perfect match.

No comments:

Post a Comment