Search This Blog

Friday 8 April 2016

Always be Prepared!



As a little girl I was in the Brownies. Every week my best friend and I would skip off to the local school hall to work on our badges, plan for pack holidays and make friends with lots of different people. Now, our first ever Brownie pack holiday was to Matlock Baths in the Derby Dales and that is exactly where I found myself last weekend, 25 years later with the very same(lifelong)  best friend as we met there for a weekend away with our lovely fellas in tow. As we reminisced about our childhood, laughing at all our adventures I realised that the Brownies had taught me something very important for veganism – always be prepared!

As a newbie vegan I quickly learnt that milk alternatives are not readily available, all vegetarian options are generally covered in cheese and chips (believe it or not) get boring very quickly. So in true Mary Poppins style I have learnt to have a bottomless bag and an open mind to I can pretty much manage eat anywhere. So in answer to the question I am so often asked – what’s in the bag?
      
1.       The Bag – 100 % polyurethane from Zara. I love this bag as it big enough to    stash  everything   in and smart enough to use for work.


2.       The diary, work file and note book – Home Bargains. Who doesn’t love pretty stationary and it helps me be organized at work.
3.       The Purse  - 100% recycled from Nat and Matt. I adore this tan purse as it is 100% recycled and 100% stylish. The colour is the perfect shade of tan and it doubles up when needed as a handy clutch bag.


4.       The Handy Tin – Home Bargains. I hate bits and pieces floating in the bottom of my bag so this tin is perfect for pens, post it notes, work calling cards, RAW lipbalm & vegan sugar free mints (M&S)


5.       The Beauty Essentials – Superdrug. Hand cream and body spray to make sure I am always as fresh as a daisy and both vegan.


6.       The Tissues – Superdrug. Patients tears, my tears, runny noses and split drinks are all part of a days work!


7.       The personal diary – Pound Land. The prettiest diary at the tiniest price and helps me be in the right place at the right with my friends.


8.       The tea bags – Assorted. I always carry a stash of vegan friendly teas that don’t require milk so I can have a hot drink anywhere that does not do a diary free alternative. I am working on liking black coffee….


9.       The work mobile – Nokia. Does what it says……


10.   The office keys – key ring by Friend not Food. I just love the key ring and I can’t get into work without the keys so an essential!



Alongside my handbag I also carry a lunch bag and gym bag (yep I am a pack pony!) and I will do the gym bag in a separate post but the lunch bag I never leave home without. Often found in the foot well of my car it contains meals, snacks treats and nibbles for just in case-
 


1.      The Lunch Bag - Primark. Washable and big enough to get plenty of snack in.

2.      The Travel Mug - Pound Land. I love travel mugs as they are super handy. The prettier the better.

3.      The Juice Bottle - B&M. Another bargain and essential to keep hydrated. Also handy for smoothies and juices on the go.

4.      Nuts and Seeds (tub Primark Home) - Make the perfect vegan gluten free snack. High in good fats and will give you plenty of energy.

5.      Home made Kale Chips (tub Home Bargains) - Cheeky nutritious treat.

6.      Wasabi Peas (tub Home Bargains) - Crunchy, spicy and reminds me of my granddad as they were his favourite snack they can easily be added to meals / soups / nibbles if needed.

7.      CLIFF Bar - These are amazing post work out, really tasty and filling with no nasties.

 

I often have rice cakes or oat cakes floating round in there too as well as pieces of fruit / chopped raw veg. So there we have it - the mystery of what's in the bag and how vegans eat solved!



No comments:

Post a Comment